January 2, 2021
7,658
89
52
1.84%
Every word spoken in this episode is indexed. Type any phrase to jump straight to the moment it was said.
Type any word or phrase that may have been spoken. Click a result to seek the player to that exact moment.
Try a name, a topic, or a quoted line
3:21Now PlayingScores of costumed performers took to the streets of their south Philadelphia stomping grounds for a New Year’s celebration of Mummers tradition, far from the customary parade route and despite official cancellation of the annual event and a ban on large gatherings due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Participants in brightly colored costumes, some with faces painted, paraded Friday down 2nd Street in South Philadelphia following trucks that blared string band or popular music. Some wore masks but many did not, and others marched with them wearing “South Philly Still Struts” sweatshirts.
Mayor Jim Kenney announced in July that the city would not grant permits to planned outdoor events with more than 50 people, effectively canceling the large annual parade and other events as officials struggled to keep a lid on the spread of the virus. Some Mummers leaders and organizations also asked members to stay home.
City spokeswoman Lauren Cox said there were no major issues Friday but said seeing pictures of many participants without masks was “very concerning given the seriousness of this current wave of the pandemic”.
“Anyone who has been in or near large crowds today should get tested five to seven days after the activity, stay away from others for 10 days, and continue monitoring for symptoms for 14 days”, she said.
The Philadelphia Inquirer reported recently that two previous attempts in the 119-year history of the parade to call it off - in 1919 due to World War I and in 1934 due to the Great Depression - hadn't gone well.
In both cases, Mummers still took to the streets to celebrate.
The usual celebration viewed by thousands each year features string bands, comic brigades, elaborate floats and plenty of feathers and sequins, but it has also attracted persistent criticism over its long history of racist blackface displays and other inappropriate or offensive behavior by some participants.
After last year’s parade, Kenney threatened to end it if parade organizers didn’t clean up their act.
Although online advocates of a celebration Friday termed it a protest of Kenney’s decision - and signs critical of the mayor could be seen - some said they were simply taking part in a very local celebration.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Bloomberg Quicktake brings you live global news and original shows spanning business, technology, politics and culture. Make sense of the stories changing your business and your world.
To watch complete coverage on Bloomberg Quicktake 24/7, visit or watch on Apple TV, Roku, Samsung Smart TV, Fire TV and Android TV on the Bloomberg app.
Have a story to tell? Fill out this survey for a chance to have it featured on Bloomberg Quicktake
Connect with us on…
Breaking News on YouTube
Sentinel Indexing in Progress
Metadata and chapters are available. Claim extraction for this episode is pending.
All video content is delivered via YouTube embedded players in accordance with the YouTube Terms of Service. Sentinel provides research tools that promote discovery and accountability across political media.