August 27, 2021
5,501
12
7
0.35%
Every word spoken in this episode is indexed. Type any phrase to jump straight to the moment it was said.
Type any word or phrase that may have been spoken. Click a result to seek the player to that exact moment.
Try a name, a topic, or a quoted line
You’re on August 27, 2021. Earlier episodes are to the left, later ones to the right — the row keeps loading as you go. Click any card to open it.
Aug 27, 20211:24Now PlayingGunmen on Friday released 90 young schoolchildren who had been abducted three months ago, as authorities elsewhere in northern Nigeria announced a second group of 15 students also had been released.
Dozens of young girls and boys arrived in Minna on Friday morning, welcomed by their relatives and authorities.
"Today I feel fantastic, I feel marvelous, the happiness can't be quantified," exclaimed Yahya Aliyu Babangida, the father of two released children, aged 7 and 17 years old.
The news was celebrated across Nigeria, where more than 1,000 students have been kidnapped from schools since December.
The abductions have stepped up pressure on the Nigerian government to do more to secure educational facilities in remote areas.
But questions remained Friday about whether ransoms had been paid to secure the children's release, and if so whether that could fuel further abductions by the unknown armed groups referred to locally as bandits.
Authorities also learned that one of the children taken in May had died during the ordeal.
Four others were receiving medical treatment following their release Thursday night in Niger state.
"They arrived in Minna in the early hours of this morning. And since then, the medical officials have been attending to them to ensure their health status," said Niger state Gov. Abubakar Sani Bello.
Gunmen on motorcycles had attacked the Salihu Tanko Islamic School in Niger state in late May.
Authorities initially said that 136 students had been taken but revised that figure to 91, including the pupil who died in captivity.
Also Friday, police spokesperson in Zamfara state Mohammed Shehu said that 15 other students had been handed over to officials on Friday, 11 days after they were abducted from the College of Agriculture and Animal Science in Nigeria's troubled northwest.
It was not immediately clear how they were rescued, but the students are now being looked after at Zamfara state officials and will soon be reunited with their parents, authorities said.
More than 1,000 students have been forcibly taken from their schools in a series of school abductions this year, according to an AP tally of figures previously confirmed by the police.
Although most of those kidnapped have been released, about 200 are still held by their abductors.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Subscribe to our newest channel Quicktake Explained
Bloomberg Quicktake brings you live global news and original shows spanning business, technology, politics and culture. Make sense of the stories changing your business and your world.
To watch complete coverage on Bloomberg Quicktake 24/7, visit or watch on Apple TV, Roku, Samsung Smart TV, Fire TV and Android TV on the Bloomberg app.
Have a story to tell? Fill out this survey for a chance to have it featured on Bloomberg Quicktake
Connect with us on…
Breaking News on YouTube
Sentinel Indexing in Progress
Metadata and chapters are available. Claim extraction for this episode is pending.
All video content is delivered via YouTube embedded players in accordance with the YouTube Terms of Service. Sentinel provides research tools that promote discovery and accountability across political media.